Why you should keep one camera and one lens and concentrate on photography

I first got presented to electronic photography when I was 18. At my secondary university graduation, my mom provided me a little Cannon Powershot point-and-shoot. I never thought of photography before in my lifestyle, but I was surprised by the energy I now organised in my arms.


I had the energy to catch lifestyle around me — to picture those short lived minutes and make them everlasting through my electronic camera.


The first 30 days I had my camera, I was a enthusiast. I took about a million pictures a day— of everything. I took pictures of my buddies, family, my food, my footwear, you name it. Yes, think about Instagram (before the times of instagram).

Fast-forward 7 decades later. I now catch specifically with movie, and earn an income educating road online photography classes. Through those 7 decades I discovered a lot about myself through electronic photography. But like everyone else, I have many remorse. If I was able to phase into a time-machine and provides my 18-year-old self some guidance, here are some things I would tell him:

Don’t fear the devices so much: keep one camera and one lens and concentrate on photography

I think the most joyful I ever was in electronic photography was when I first began. My reliable little Cannon powershot was with me wherever I went. It was little and convenient — it fit quickly into my wallet. It was not complicated, and it certainly did not think about me down. The electronic camera was ideal for me, and I never designed it an reason for not being able to take excellent pictures.


My unique baby: The Canon SD 600
Then of course after getting more engaged into electronic photography, I found electronic photography boards, picture weblogs, and Reddit. I saw all these excellent pictures with superficial depth-of-field (I did not know what “bokeh” was at the time) and I was offered away. How could I re-create those kinds of images? Certainly not with my point-and-shoot.

So of course after doing some analysis, I found I required a “DSLR”. I did some analysis, and purchased my first used DSLR off Craigslist- a Cannon 350d (Rebel XT). I was offered away by the picture quality (especially the performance at high-ISOs). But the lens it came with did not provide me that charming bokeh I saw so much on the internet.


My first DSLR, the Insurgent XT (edible too)
More analysis cause me into finding I required a “prime” lens. I then went out and purchased a Cannon 50mm f/1.8. Of course like everyone out there, I taken everything at f/1.8. Everything.

It soon got quite tedious, capturing everything at f/1.8. I sensed tired by electronic photography, and designed the most severe mistake— discussed the devices boards on on the internet boards for some guidance. The guidance I was given? I required more contacts to be more “creative”.

I was assured I required a broader primary lens, so I got a Cannon Negatives f/2 (which is an amazing lens). I then desired to look more “pro” as an experienced photographer, so I purchased an assortment power hold for my Cannon 350d to make it look larger. Of course, it was still far too little, so I got a Cannon 70-200 f/4L lens (because only “noobs” got non-L lenses). I still was not pleased with my electronic photography, so after looking at some excellent macro electronic photography on the internet I purchased a Sigma 105mm Macro Lens (I used it only twice).


Canon Negatives f/2 – my preferred lens
I was fed up with holding around all of these contacts, so I got a Sigma 18-200mm. I soon noticed how low quality the performance of this lens was, and marketed it. Then I got a 24mm f/2.8 as my Negatives f/2 did not feel extensive enough on my plants indicator.

The proven reality that I proved helpful in IT and invested lots of your energy and attempt browsing the web did not help. I had plenty of devices boards saved in my internet browser, and would study these inane conversations about primary contacts vs zoom capability contacts, area sharpness, chromatic acronym, distortions, and how distinct one could take pictures of stone surfaces.

The more contacts and devices I purchased, the less I experienced electronic photography. After much consideration I believed I found the greatest problem to my photography: I did not have a full-frame electronic camera.


“Real photographers” catch with a full-frame electronic camera, duh.
I then rummaged the relax of my benefits (and also dug into my student loans) and purchased a Cannon 5D (the original). Thus, I became a “real” photographer”.

I soon noticed how much a discomfort in the ass this was. Whenever I went out to catch, I taken a large electronic camera bag with all of my contacts. I could hardly stroll for 30 minutes before my neck began painful and my legs sensed painful. I was a blunder.

I then found this viewpoint I study on the web known as “one electronic camera and one lens”. The supporter said that the best way to become more innovative in your electronic photography (and less dependent to G.A.S. — devices purchase syndrome) was to adhere to one electronic camera and one lens for a season.


My present setup: Leica MP and Negatives f/2 Summicron + SF 20 display. I will be keeping this for some time.
I thus trapped with my Cannon 5D and my Cannon Negatives f/2 for a season, and designed the best perform I have with my DSLR installation. Now I catch with a movie Leica MP, and still use a Negatives central duration when it comes to my perform.

Here is what I discovered from my “one electronic camera and one lens” philosophy:

1. It eliminated G.A.S. from my system



G.A.S. (gear purchase syndrome) is one of the most severe illnesses when it comes to expert photographers. It causes us expert photographers to make justifications about our devices – rather than going out and creating pictures with what we have.

By recommending to the “one electronic camera and one lens” viewpoint I got rid of most of the G.A.S. in my program. Sure, whenever a new electronic camera or a new lens came out I got jealous, but I still had an actual viewpoint to adhere to.

2. It designed me expert only one central length



In “Outliers”, the legendary writer/sociologist Malcom Gladwell recommended that the most skilled people on the globe devoted at least 10,000 time to their art before getting skills in their area.

10,000 time is lots of your energy and attempt. Supposing you used something for 2 time a day, it would take you 5,000 times to expert something. 5,000 times is approximately 14 decades of everyday exercise.

By regularly changing our devices and devices, we never really get enough a chance to truly know our electronic camera and central duration. Supposing we are persistent enough as expert photographers to picture for 2 time a day, it would still take us 14 decades to expert our electronic photography (with a given electronic camera or lens).

Therefore by keeping a certain electronic camera or central duration for an longer timeframe of time- it would help us obtain skills much faster.

Of course electronic cameras will not last us 14 decades, but adhering to a identical program and central duration is a wise decision.

For example, about two decades into my electronic photography I made the decision that Negatives was my favorite/ideal central duration for how I saw the globe. Since then, I have been capturing with only a Negatives lens (for about 5 years). In-fact, the Negatives f/2 Summicron is the only lens I own for my Leica.

Since I have been capturing with my Negatives lens for such a lengthy time, I see the globe in a Negatives central duration. I know exactly how close/far I need to be away from my topic to structure him/her the way I want to. I also know how a picture will look before I take it.

So if you have a DSLR, adhere to a SLR program for an prolonged time interval. If you like range finders, adhere to that. If you like lightweight electronic cameras or cell cellular phones, that is excellent too. I also recommend you to adhere to one central duration as well.

3. It assisted me be more creative



I believe when it comes to a “one electronic camera and one lens” viewpoint, the way to go is with primary contacts over zoom capability contacts. Why? Prime contacts energy you to see the globe in a certain way, and whenever the globe does not fit the way you exactly want to, you be more innovative. Prime contacts also energy you to use “foot zoom”, crouch, and research with arrangements. Zoom contacts makes you sluggish, as you can just zoom capability in and out without creating as much of an attempt.

Sticking with one central duration pressured me to be more innovative when it came to my electronic photography. If I was not able to fit a topic in my structure at Negatives, I had to make due. Instead of doing a full-body taken of somebody, I might concentrate on their arms, their legs, or their face expression. If I was too far away from my topic, I would either try to integrate the qualifications more with my subject— or simply take a
few actions nearer.

I recommend everyone to try the “one electronic camera and one lens” task for a season. Of course if you are a working expert and you need several systems and contacts for projects, your case is different. This publish is targeted for those of you who are enthusiasts and catch electronic photography for fun, not a residing.

Comments